[App][June 24 2009] iContact Avian Edition 7.0.6

Search This thread

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
Submit bugs on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/iContactAE/WorkItem/List.aspx
Request features on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/iContactAE/Thread/List.aspx

I will not fix bugs that are NOT in CodePlex (maybe). :) Sorry, but CodePlex just makes life much easier!

If anybody out there wants to help me, please PM me. I can easily add new people as contributors to the codeplex project. I really want help with this project!!! Thanks!

Overview
iContact AE is a branch of iContact, specifically branched from the final code by truburt that belonged to iContact BE.

CodePlex
iContact AE development is hosted on Microsoft's CodePlex. http://iContactAE.codeplex.com

Screenshots
Coming soon...

Skinning Guide
Needs to be updated and moved off Burt's site, but until then, here it is!
http://truburt.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=12

User Contributed Skins
Voyd Black (VGA) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=543255

To Do
- Finger friendly configurator: Make sure all options are available in it
- Consistent number formatting (maybe) so it all shows up as (xxx) xxx-xxxx
- Suffix in details view too
- More actionable details items (google maps for address?)
- Category selection menu is not very friendly...
- Make use of HTC sensors - maybe the wheel can quickly scroll through the list and swiping left to right can change which number is in the list
- Customize order of items in bottom menu
- Details view needs a scroll bar just like the main view
- When doing a keyboard letter jump and then immediately going into a T9, it will still jump around by scrolling instead of being instant.
- With the "exit on action" option checked, calls initiated thru iContacts AE will INTERMITTANTLY cause the in-call screen to disappear

Current Version: 7.0.6
SEE SECOND POST (not enough room in top post)
Full changelog is included in installation

Download
CAB Installer: http://www.codeplex.com/icontactae/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx
Source Code: http://www.codeplex.com/icontactae/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

If anybody out there wants to contribute to this edition, I'm very open to it! We can use CodePlex as a central source repository and all develop on it to make this the best version of iContact! Contact me if you are interested.

Last edited:

thx1200

Latest changes

Current Version: 7.0.6
- You can now disable iContact's ability to dial using the hardware phone dial key (the "green" button) and quit/minimize when pressing the hardware hangup (the "red" button). If, like me, you remap all your hardware buttons, including phone buttons, this will be most welcome. It is enabled by default since most people expect default behavior from those buttons. See below for information about the setting.
- New setting: EnablePhoneKeyHook = Enables hardware phone key support above (enabled by default) <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- Added USSD support for dialing star (*) numbers on phone systems that support it. THIS IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT since it is supported on most networks. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov.
- New setting: EnableUSSDStarDialing = Enables USSD support (above) <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- Added better birthday / anniversary support. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov.
- Added the ability to set the ringtone from within iContact AE. Note: Press and hold to clear a custom ringtone. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov.
- New language file entry (.lng file): selectringtone - Text displayed when selecting a custom ringtone <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .lng file.
- New language file entry (.lng file): ringtonesavefailed - Text displayed when a ringtone cannot be set <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .lng file.
- New language file entry (.lng file): noringtone - Text displayed when the default system ringtone is being used for a contact (no custom ringtone) <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .lng file.
- There are new skin icons associated with the custom ring tone, anniversary, and birthday. All built-in skins have been updated. These are "small icons." Look at the bottom of the default.skn file for skinning info on these icons.
- New skin contribution: OSX Colored.
- If you add a number to a new or existing contact after receiving/making calls from that number, the entry in the call history will now be updated with the correct name in the main list (it always did link to the correct item in the details). This overrides the entry that is actually in the call log. If there is demand, I'll make an option to toggle this, but I can't see why anybody would want out of date information in the call log. :)
- Call history now updates its entire call log cache after you make changes to contacts. Previously, you had to toggle through call log modes or restart iContact to get certain details in the call history updated, such as pictures.
- Call history now correctly labels all unknown numbers as UNKNOWN in the detail view. There were cases previously where the number would appear in the title.
- Using a new method to detect the SpeedThresh. The previous method used a timer and there was a variable performance depending on when you let go of your finger versus where the timer was in its ticks. The new method uses tick counts during the finger movement events. It seems to be a much more consistent user experience.
- Fixed a bug where when you looked at contact details from the call log view, frequently the details bottom menu buttons would be unresponsive.
- New setting: CallLogDetailsBackToCallLog = When enabled, when you press the back button on contact details from the call history view, it will return to the call history view (as opposed to jumping to the contacts list) <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- In some cases, the SIP would still show if a stubborn 3rd party process made it appear after iContact received activation, but before the user gets a chance to interact with iContact. So, a timer now waits a second after receiving input focus and makes sure the SIP is hidden.
- The installer will no longer ask if you want to use the existing settings.ini on upgrade. If your existing settings.ini is corrupt, then uninstall and reinstall in TWO STEPS where you will be given a chance to use the default settings.ini.
- The installer now sets the registry setting needed by idialer so idialer knows how to find iContact AE when you select iContacts from within iDialer. (This is untested as I don't use iDialer! Please let me know if it works!)
- Added BMP as a valid file type for assigning a picture to a contact.
- Call log database update notifications are now buffered, so that if four or five updates fire in succession, only a single reload operation will occur. This should improve call log responsiveness in certain circumstances when reloading would unnecessarily occur several times in a row.
- Long-tapping bottom menu items now uses the same delay in the settings. It was previously hardwired to 700ms. The main reason for this change is that long-tapping bottom menu items will increasingly do alternate functions in later versions of iContact AE. Currently, most of the time a long-tap is nearly always the same response as a short-tap.
- Fixed a bug where iContact (and possibly the entire phone) would freeze if an empty category is opened. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov.
- Workaround contributed by [kab] on xda to fix Samsung call history problem.
- New setting: SamsungHistoryWorkaround = (disabled by default) Changes the way the call database is read to workaround a call history bug on certain Samsung models. <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- New setting: OpenSettingsOnLongTap = (enabled by default) Open the icontact config application by long-tapping the contacts button on the main window <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- New setting: MinimizeOnAction = (disabled by default) Causes iContact to go to the back of the window z-order after performing an action. Normally, iContact hides (goes right behind the dialer or whatever). Minimizing will put iContact to the back of the z-order, so it is not the first window to appear after completing an action. This is an alternative to exiting after action if you want iContact to go away, but not close. <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- New setting: UseClearTypeFonts = (enabled by default) Specify whether you want iContact to render fonts using ClearType smoothing. The default is enabled, which is the same as previous versions. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov. <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- New setting: ShowRingToneInDetails = (enabled by default) When enabled, the ringtone of each contact is displayed in the details view. Clicking on the ringtone allows you to change it. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov. <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- New setting: T9EnglishAsPrimary = When enabled (disabled by default), T9 search will always use English as the primary keyboard (user language becomes the secondary keyboard). Please note in older versions English was ALWAYS primary. Contributed by Constantin Lushnikov. <-- Anybody who can add this to the help for other language files (non-english), please PM me the new .clng file.
- New language: Swedish. App translation only (no config translation). Contributed by Lilleolov.
- New language: Greek. App and setting translation (no help translation). Contributed by acrocosm.

Last edited:

chavonbravo

Jul 15, 2006
I think that if this Avian edition were to combine BE with the other version's new ability to retain the windows titlebar, it would be the absolute perfect version.

A

aliumalik

Can you please remove the advertisment
iContact Burth Edition 7.0 beta
strings from the program.

Drybonz

Sep 20, 2008
Hey, this is great news!

I was just looking at the Trubert thread today, disappointed that another new Supbro version had just been released and Burt's edition falling further behind... and was very happy to see you are taking over the development.

Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

thx1200

can you expect a date for a first release with wich new implementation?

The first step will be finishing the nearly finished Burt's 7.0. He says it's 90% done. Actually, from my testing, the app IS done, it's the finger-friendly config app that needs to be finished, which shouldn't be hard since its mostly just filling in settings. It looks like the engine is (mostly?) done.

Unfortunately, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, I'm not a super-savvy C++ developer. I'm a super-savvy .Net developer, so getting a handle on some of the C++ stuff will take me time. That's part of the reason I want to solicit as much developer help as possible from others. I would love it if this could be a project with four or five developers working in tandem to add lots of cool new features at a faster pace than in the past. Plus, obviously, having the source code publicly available helps "keep it in the community" should I disappear someday and somebody else want to create their own branch. ;-)

As for an exact date, I don't want to say because then people will say "HEY YOU HAVEN'T RELEASED YET" hahaha. ;-)

Give me some weeks to get a handle on this. I'm working on other projects as well, so my time committment will vary. But if we get more developers, the development will go quicker. That is certain.

NLS

May 27, 2005
Piraeus
www.ilogic.gr
But Burt didn't make it. Burt took over the old source too.

Of course this must remain in the documentation, but I don't see why it should be mentioned IN the program.

Reactions: bacon612

thx1200

Of course this must remain in the documentation, but I don't see why it should be mentioned IN the program.

You are right. I should have been more clear on that. But for the version coming out, the NEW stuff will be 99% Burt, so we should remember who did the work! The version number will be optional on the screen (default: on), so you can keep it or not. The version number will also be available in the config.

Drybonz

Sep 20, 2008
You are right. I should have been more clear on that. But for the version coming out, the NEW stuff will be 99% Burt, so we should remember who did the work! The version number will be optional on the screen (default: on), so you can keep it or not. The version number will also be available in the config.

Most programs list this stuff on an about screen. Never saw any reason to have it cluttering up the most commonly viewed screens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Skinning Guide

Skinning guide in the attachment